Modified Human (formerly)
Vampiric Ghoul (formerly)
|Hair Color||Brown |
|Eye Color||Brown |
|Relatives||Kasumi Aono (Mother)|
Kōji Aono (Father)
Kyōko Aono (Cousin)
|Class||2nd year Yōkai Academy|
|Voice Actor||Daisuke Kishio (Japanese)|
Todd Haberkorn (English)
Tsukune's typical appearance is that of an average human teenager. He possesses black hair, brown eyes and is usually seen wearing the Yōkai Academy's standard green uniform. When he transforms into a vampire through Moka's blood, Tsukune's eyes turn red with cat-like pupils, while his hair color becomes lighter. His first ghoul transformation is similar to his vampire form, with the addition of several black vein-shaped patterns on the right side of his neck and face. In his second ghoul transformation, Tsukune resembles a black, bulky demon-like creature with white hair and large bat wings, while his irises and pupils completely disappear.
After becoming a "Modified-Human", Tsukune gains some additional physical changes, such as having black/grey hair and heterochromia, his left eye is light brown, while his right eye is blue, with glowing circuit markings appearing on his arms whenever he's using yōjutsu techniques.
Many of the wounds he gained in battle prior to his transformation have left numerous scars on his body, the most notable of which is the large X-Shaped scar across his chest, which he gained during with his second confrontation with Saizo and his men.
Tsukune is a gentle person. Although there have been many instances where he has been put into dangerous, life-threatening situations, he rarely holds a grudge against anyone. Tsukune's selflessness and courage come to the foreground whenever he or someone from his group of friends is faced with the possibility of injury, or even death. This ultimately led to him gaining the affection of Moka, Kurumu, Mizore, Ruby and Yukari. However, he has been shown to be quite ruthless in combat, threatening to kill Kuyō during their rematch. This is probably a result of the violent tendencies inherent in his vampire blood.
As Tsukune's opponents become more and more powerful during Season II, Tsukune eventually opts to train to become more adept at controlling his vampiric powers and even undergoes a dangerous body modification ritual, all for the sake of protecting his friends.
Right from the start of the story, Tsukune was immediately attracted to Outer Moka, with his feelings for her developing into love as the story progresses. In as early as Chapter 1 of manga, Tsukune says to Moka that he likes her. Tsukune blushes around Moka and often thinks (or fantasizes) about being with her and is very protective of her. There are numerous instances in the manga where Tsukune takes a damaging blow for Moka, in order to protect her. In Chapter 11, although he does not want to be a vampire at first, Tsukune says that he is willing to become one as long as he can protect Moka.
The manga also shows that Tsukune is also developing feelings for Inner Moka. In Chapter 16 of Season II, Tsukune had a dream of sleeping with Inner Moka, which he can't believe he had himself. Ever since after that dream, Tsukune starts to develop feelings for Inner Moka as well. However, according to Tsukune, he cares for both of them the same way and hopes that one day, Inner and Outer Moka can become one person together.
During the Memory Arc, Tsukune found out that Outer Moka is a fake personality and was unable to cope with it, leading him to become severely depressed and trapped within the seal. However, after seeing one of Moka's memories after she was sealed, he confessed that he understood the pain and depression she went through and also said that he went through the same feelings. Tsukune said that ever since he met her he felt very happy and that he wished to stay by her side forever.
Tsukune's infatuation with the kindhearted Moka often results in him letting his guard down, long enough for her to bite him on the neck and ingest his blood. While it saps him of energy for nearly the rest of the school day during the first few times, after subsequent times, it feels like more of a playful, affectionate gesture from her (in the anime, this is personified to the viewer as a kiss). A running gag in both the manga and the anime is whenever Tsukune and Moka are about to kiss, Moka would always end up biting his neck and sucking his blood, instead of actually kissing him. There are times, however, when Moka really wanted Tsukune to kiss her, but usually those tender moments are interrupted by Kurumu Kurono, Mizore Shirayuki, or Yukari Sendo. Tsukune has also showed slight perversion, such as in season 2 episode 5 when he was thinking about Moka cooking, he had a fantasy of Moka wearing only an apron when offering him a table of her food. However, due to the anime being vastly different from the manga, this may not be canonical. But as stated earlier, the manga (which is canonical) depicts Tsukune having a dream of sleeping with Inner Moka (Chapter 16, Rosario Vampire II).
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
As a human, Tsukune used to rely on his ability to take off Moka's Rosario Cross, releasing her true vampire state, and have her fend off opponents. Thus far, he is the only one who can successfully do so because he truly loves Moka and wishes her no harm, causing her Rosario to accept him.
Modified Human/Vampiric Ghoul/Shinso Vampire Physiology: Later on, due to repeated vampire blood transfusions from Moka (see transformation below), Tsukune gained powers and abilities vastly exceeding those of a human being and arguably most Vampires. Finally, thanks to Touhou Fuhai, who modified his body, Tsukune became able to use Yōjutsu techniques. Now as a true vampire, Tsukune's powers have gradually increased.
- Superhuman Speed: As a ghoul, Tsukune's speed has been repeatedly shown to be beyond the standards of high level monsters, including speed specialized ones, much less normal humans. Following his training under Moka, his speed was raised enough in his human form to defeat a group of human gangsters, despite being armed with guns. After his modification and training with Tohou Fuhai, he managed to defeat Kuyō by passing his most powerful flames before they were able to harm him and later to surpass Akua Shuzen, who was noted for her reflexes, evading her attacks and catching Moka in an embrace. Following the release of his first seal, his speed increased to the point he was able to bypass Kuyō and take him down before Kuyō could make his own attack as well as pressure Akua into defending herself, which left her open to Moka's own attack. Upon unlocking his second seal, Tsukune managed to slip inside Gyokuro Shuzen's guard and wound her at her right shoulder before she could react. After transforming into a Shinso vampire, Tsukune's speed has increased tremendously, but to which extent is still unknown.
- Superhuman Strength: Tsukune has gained enough raw strength to defeat even high level monsters, such as Kuyō, in a single strike. as a result of this ease, it is also sometimes hard to grasp the actual limits to his power. In his fully transformed Ghoul form, Tsukune's strength became so overwhelming that even Touhou Fuhai barely survived after taking a single blow from him, albeit he was in a weakened state at the time. After his body modification, it is shown that Tsukune is now strong enough in human form to catch a giant pillar, even when it was thrown at him by the likes of Gyokuro Shuzen, with his bare hands. His strength even proved enough to completely overwhelm Gyokuro during their fight, even after she removed her limiter to increase her power. After transforming into a Shinso vampire, Tsukune's strength has increased tremendously, but to which extent is still unknown.
- Superhuman Agility: Tsukune's agility is enhanced to superhuman levels, and can easily swing and jump from a building's roof to another during battle.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Tsukune's reflexes are enhanced beyond the human limits. Repeatedly, Tsukune has been shown to catch his enemy before they strike him, usually right as he enters the transformed state, and then strike back. Following the release of his first seal, Akua had trouble striking him during their fight, but Tsukune has also trouble striking Akua due to his lack of experience in regards to her more often then not made up for this advantage. Upon unlocking his second seal, Tsukune's reflexes increase to a greater point where Gyokuro was unable to land an attack on Tsukune and needed to back down to keep distance apart between the two.
- Superhuman Durability: The tissues and bones of his body are considerably stronger and more resistant to physical injury than those of ordinary humans, powerful monsters and even ordinary vampires. This is evident even before his body reconstruction as he endured several water bullet attacks and sound based attacks with very little harm compared to his friends, all of whom are powerful monsters in their own right. He competed with Kuyō on equal footing and came out of the battle fairly unscathed. He took a sneak attack from Gyokuro without dying, an attack from Hokuto that was aimed to kill Moka and in both cases recovered ominously fast. When transformed into a Ghoul, his endurance works in conjunction with his regenerative abilities and results in an almost unstoppable creature. Ultimately even Gyokuro Shuzen, who delivered twice as many blows as she received, still fell before Tsukune himself did during their fight when it erupted into a mere punch up. Even after receiving a gigantic hole in his stomach caused by Miyabi Fujisaki's punch, Tsukune was still able to get back in the battle and a brief moment latter shield Moka by allowing himself to to get pierced several times from an ambush attack made by Miyabi Fujisaki.
- Superhuman Stamina: Tsukune's musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human or vampire, allowing him to be physically active for longer periods of time. He has proven able to continue fighting a superior opponent like Hokuto long enough to cause him to start losing control of his own powers. He has also managed to fight Kuyō, Akua and Gyokuro in a row without tiring. His regenerative powers seem to have some influence on this seemingly tireless stamina, as does his indomitable will.
- Yōki Detection: Tsukune is granted this ability by the vampire blood inside him. After being taught to use this ability by Inner Moka, he is able to sense the demonic aura of other monsters. Later on, Tsukune is shown to use this ability more effectively, as demonstrated when he was able to sense a "pitch-black" aura being emitted from someone, and determined that this aura was in fact being emitted from Gyokuro Shuzen.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Tsukune has the ability to regenerate at an astonishing rate. After he was mortally wounded during his fight with Midou Kusabi, Tsukune received the final injection of Moka's vampire blood and transformed into a Ghoul. Within moments, his gaping wounds and lacerations began sealing themselves up, much to Midou's surprise and Inner Moka's curiosity. When in his Vampire and Ghoul forms receptively, Tsukune's healing powers undergo a proportionate increase, with the latter surviving multiple heavy attacks from Moka and recovering. To some extent, his human form also seems to have a higher level of regeneration than that of a regular human, as he heals far more quickly from fatigue or injury than any human being would be expected to; this includes receiving a punch from Gyokuro which sent him flying and then being nearly eaten by Alucard, after which he recovered, unassisted and treated, within a few minutes and returned to the battle. Immediately following Gyokuro's initial defeat, during which he received many heavy attacks and a visibly painful set of mutations to his person, Tsukune recovered and prepared to stand beside his friends to face the Alucard-empowered Gyokuro.
- Shinso Bloodline: Tsukune has inherited the blood of two Shinso vampires which belonged to Akasha and Alucard through Moka, this blood is corrupted as it also includes a mix of all the blood Alucard had absorbed in the past, granting him a legendary power that is described as "a darkness deeper than night". The blood was given to him through multiple injections from Moka, causing Tsukune's features to change to the tell-tall characteristics of the legendary Shinso vampire, however this can also result in uncontrollable mutations since the blood propagates inside the host causing the body to change, and like Moka, it's also the key to reviving the monstrous vampire Alucard, but unlike Moka, Tsukune does not possess a seal to prevent Alucard from awakening, but this will only happen if he carelessly unleashes his Shinso power while also being near Alucard, this also works in vice versa if Alucard is revived, causing Tsukune to resonate with the monster and mutate. The blood radiates a much darker, more potent aura than the usual vampire blood and on some occasions Alucard's visage has been known to appear behind Tsukune, Ruby has described Tsukune's power as "something very sinister and horrifying". Gyokuro has noted that Tsukune is potentially on par with Alucard because of this power. He is now a Shinso Vampire.
- Blood Transfusion: Tsukune is able to use this ability by taking off the Holy Lock completely in order to become a true vampire to save and revive Moka by injecting his own blood. Now as a Shinso Vampire, Tsukune has fully enhanced to use this if he needs to.
- Skilled combatant: After his training with Moka and Ruby, Tsukune drastically improved his hand-to-hand combat skills to the point of defeating several armed gangsters in the human world without assistance nor effort. His skill in combat after Tsukune had his body reconstructed by Touhou Fuhai in order to use Yōkai techniques, he began an intense training regimen under Fuhai to control and utilize his new power. He can now use yōkai attacks of much greater power than before, rather than simply using yōkai-augmented punches and kicks and proved capable enough in his combat skill alone to compete with Kuyō and, with aid from Moka, fight on the level of Akua Shuzen. Later on, during his duel with Gyokuro, Tsukune exhibited greater hand to hand combat skills and was able to overwhelm Gyokuro in a one on one fight.
- Indomitable Will: He is virtually unstoppable in his drive towards any given goal, such as saving Moka or any of his friends, doesn't matter if it will cost his life or not. He will go on regardless of any danger, even when he faces great physical and emotional pain he will refuse to surrender no matter how much the odds are against him, and he will push himself past any limitation he might have. By his own free will, Tsukune gives up being a human and becomes a true vampire due to his love for Moka.
- Flight: In his Shinso vampire form, Tsukune is able to grow giant bat wings from his back, giving him flight capabilities.
Youjutsu/Demon Arts: He also becomes capable of performing Youjutsu, as shown when Tsukune uses what appears to be a "barrier" based attack in order to escape from the meeting of the Fairy Tale divisions listening to .Gyokuro Shuzen. His knowledge of Youjutsu is also noted, having been trained by Touhou Fuhai in methods to counter the Jigen-Tou.
- Touhou Fuhai Style- Bakuryuujin (Explosion Circle): A close combat anti-air youjutsu, where Tsukune smashes his fist into the ground and utilizes a shockwave of Youki to repel his adversaries.
- Muei-Tou (Shadowless Sword): This technique was created by Toho Fuhai to nullify the Jigen-Tou. Also referred to as the Tonfa of Light. On contact it locks the Jigen-Tou in the current dimension and seals its ability to cut like "a saw that cannot be pulled". This technique does little damage, but it is the only known defense against the otherwise unstoppable Jigen-Tou.
- Muei-Tou Yamikiri (Shadowless Sword Darkness Cut): Is a technique Tsukune uses with the principles of Muei-Tou giving it offensive and cutting abilities. The power of this technique proved sufficient enough to break Gyokuro's internal organs.
Forms and TransformationsEdit
- Human Form: Tsukune's human form was initially no more durable than that of a regular human, being easily damaged by monster attacks. After being trained by Moka, Tsukune's human form has become far more powerful, to the point of taking on and defeating a group of armed gangsters so easily that he himself believed they were moving in slow motion. After having his human body altered by Touhou Fuhai, Tsukune is reborn as a "modified-human". In this form, Tsukune's physical body and regular attacks become greatly enhanced and he gains the ability use youjutsu techniques, which his original body was unable to do. Thanks to the enhancements made to his form, Tsukune has been shown to fight admirably against the likes of Kuyou and Akua.
- Vampire Form: After an injection of Moka's blood, Tsukune can be revived from even fatal wounds and would assume the characteristics and related abilities of a Super-Vampire, but only temporarily. Another, albeit unintended, advantage to this transformation is that it keeps Tsukune's human nature from becoming public knowledge, as humans are significantly weaker than Tsukune is in this form. Naturally, this transfer is not without its drawbacks. When Moka injects her blood into Tsukune, her own strength is diminished by a lack of blood in her own body, but more importantly, Tsukune's body cannot handle the influx of vampiric blood without suffering any after-effects. Eventually, Moka's bite marks on his neck do not disappear, leaving Tsukune disoriented, as well as experiencing severe pain throughout his body. After several injections of Moka's blood, Tsukune, under extreme stress, managed to invoke the powers of a vampire on his own. After the final injection turned him into a ghoul and he was subsequently sealed by the Holy Lock, Tsukune has gained this form indefinitely. Initially he could only achieve this form under extreme stress and had little control over his actions during that time, though he has gradually overcome both of these issues through time and training.
- Ghoul Form: The constant injections of Moka's blood into Tsukune's body finally went out of control. The result is his transformation into a Ghoul. In this state, black marks spread across his body from his bite marks and eventually consume his entire skin in what appears to be an armored layer, his hair gradually turns white, and he has, in his completely transformed state, grown wings. Tsukune gains a vast increase in both his strength and speed in this state, as well as possessing regenerative powers far superior to even a Vampire-excluding other shinso like Akasha and Alucard. Because of his human origins, he is also immune to all known Vampire weaknesses, even water, the greatest of these weaknesses. However, this transformation comes with a heavy price: Tsukune loses his human consciousness and becomes a mindless killing machine bent on seeking blood. In contrast to his normal, pacifistic self, he expresses a pure, uncontrollable desire to kill, unable to distinguish friend from foe. Eventually, Tsukune is able to access his powers at will, albeit temporarily. Doing so causes one of the many links on the Holy Lock to fracture. Additionally, whenever he finds himself near death, the vampiric blood in his body activates, causing all the links to break at the same time and reverting him back to his ghoul state. However, Tsukune's ghoulish nature can still be stopped with the support of a monster seal barrier spell. As time went on and he adjusted to the changes, Tsukune was taught how to control his yōkai. power by Ruby using the legendary whip Belmont and a magic canceller. Later, he began training with Inner Moka in order to best utilize this newfound power. Tsukune first achieved a complete transformation into a Ghoul during his human modification surgery under Touhou Fuhai, wherein he was injected by 109 needles by Touhou Fuhai. Upon witnessing the power of said form Touhou Fuhai stated that he can cause much chaos similar to what Alucard did 200 years ago. This potential is further noted by Gyokuro during her fight with him, during which Tsukune continued to grow even closer to Alucards level. During this fight, Tsukune's right arm further mutated, although it is not known exactly whether Alucard's resonance is to blame or if it is simply a natural evolution for him. This mutated limb was considerably more bulky and demonic than his regular arm, even in his Ghoul form, and maintains a more armour-like appearance than before.
- Shinso Vampire Form: After removing the Holy Lock in an attempt to become a vampire, Tsukune begins to transfer blood to a dying Moka in order to save her life, however, both Moka's and Tsukune's Shinso powers begin resonating violently with one another and this causes Tsukune's Shinso power to become highly unstable but because of his weakened state and lack of control it begins to rip apart his human body and starts to crumble away, however, before his life could end, Akua creates a magic circle that connected to Tsukune, which allowed her and his friends to save his life by transferring their powers, discipline and experience to him, this gave him the final push to control the full extent of his Shinso powers, after which Tsukune emerged as a newly born Shinso vampire. In his Shinso form, his hair becomes silver and his eyes turn red with cat-like pupils along with fully developed fangs capable of blood transfusion, in addition his upper body is clad in jet black armor with light tone pauldrons on his shoulders along with giant bat wings protruding from his upper back, giving him flight capabilities.
- Holy Lock (also known as "Spirit Lock"): After becoming a Ghoul due to repeated infusions of Moka's vampire blood, Tsukune was given the Holy Lock, in order to retain his humanity by suppressing his vampire blood. When in a desperate situation, the lock would occasionally crack and briefly unleash Tsukune's vampiric powers unwittingly due to the fact that it was unable to fully contain them. As time passed, he began to gain both awareness and control over his actions when these accidental releases occurred and on more than one occasion managed to unleash them on his own. After training under Ruby, Tsukune gained some level of refined control over his yōki, succeeding in releasing his power without causing the lock to crack. After his human body modification and training under Touhou Fuhai, Tsukune learned to controllably release the Holy Lock's seals to better access his power. After choosing to become a true vampire, Tsukune removes the Holy Lock and is ultimately destroyed in order to revive Moka using blood transfusion through his now fully developed fangs.
- Unlock First Seal: After training under Touhou Fuhai, Tsukune learned how to release the first seal of the holy lock which restrains his vampire blood and its powers. Releasing this seal causes him to transform into his vampire state and increases his powers by proportion. However, excess use of it can cause Tsukune to start changing into his ghoul form.
- Unlock Second Seal: After releasing the First Seal of the Holy Lock, Tsukune is able to unlock the Second Seal, in order to unleash more of his powers should the need arise. However, it also causes him to partially shift to his second ghoul form and has a damaging effect on his body, due to Tsukune exceeding the amount of power he can control.
- (To Inner Moka) Don't say that protecting is the only thing you have left. Don't take it upon yourself to do everything. All this time, I've been chasing and chasing... and finally, I've come this far. This time, it's my turn to protect you.
- (To Outer Moka) Until I met you... I had nothing... every day was as empty as the one before... but you... changed that. You lit up my days, you gave me a reason to live... I love you, Moka-san. I love so, so much... I can't imagine a day without you...
- (To Akua) Humans, Creatures, Really, I don't care about any of that. Nothing is more important to me, than the one I love. (Referring to Moka)
- The whip used by Tsukune and its name is a reference to the Castlevania series, as the main character's last name is Belmont and uses a whip to fight monsters and vampires
- Tsukune's last name Aono means "blue field", hence giving a reference to his heterochromia.
- Tsukune gets a bloody nose whenever he sees breasts. (mostly Kurumu's breasts)
- In the anime, Tsukune didn't become either a ghoul or a vampire; he has, though, been given Moka's blood, causing his eyes to turn red. He was also able to move at much faster speeds than even Moka was able to, though he was a bit confused as to what had happened. In addition to the natural, regenerative properties given to him by the injection, he undergoes similar physical changes, such as brighter hair and red eyes containing slitted pupils, all of which are a super-vampire's signature traits. Unlike Moka, Tsukune does not develop another personality, keeping his consciousness intact, although he did initially have memory issues.
- Tsukune's removal of his Holy Lock to save Moka is a good example of how far Tsukune will go for love and his friends.
- Tsukune is the first person to fully understand Akua's true feelings (as vice versa).
|Newspaper Club||Tsukune Aono • Moka Akashiya • Kurumu Kurono • Yukari Sendo • Mizore Shirayuki • Kokoa Shuzen• Ginei Morioka|
|Staff||Tenmei Mikogami • Ruby Toujo • Shizuka Nekonome • Ririko Kagome • Okuto Kotsubo • Aspara • Hitomi Ishigami • Excellent Maki • Bus Driver|
|Students||Ling Ling Huang • Fang Fang Huang • Kokko Nakamoto • Ran Otonashi • Ren Otonashi • Rin Otonashi • Tamao Ichinose • Mizuki Ueshiba • Junya Inui • Deshiko Deshi • Haiji Miyamoto • Keito • Saizou Komiya • Chopper Rikiishi|
|Members||Gyokuro Shuzen • Akua Shuzen • Kalua Shuzen • Miyabi Fujisaki • Xia-Long Miao • Kuyou • Raika • Gairen Yuki • Kanade Kamiya • Kiria Yoshii • Routier • Tsubaki Rokurou • Masked King|