|Manga||Rosario + Vampire II Chapter 018|
|Hair Color||Dark blue|
Marin Kawamoto (Mother Figure)
|Affiliations||Former President of the Newspaper Club|
|Class||Yōkai Academy Graduate|
San is generally a very happy, pleasant, and sweet girl. Though despite her youthful appearance, San is actually a very mature and tough character. Back when she was in Yōkai Academy she was responsible for straightening out Ginei. Due to her shyness she doesn't talk, but her form of communication is by her notepad on which she writes out her dialogue.
According to Ginei and Haiji, San was a truly fearsome fighter back when she was in Yōkai Academy. Like Moka, San's notepad serves as her limiter for her powers. When she closes her notepad, she's serious about fighting. Her powers as a Siren are so great, that she was deemed a "Genius" by Yōkai Academy standards and earned the nickname "Siren In the Dark".
When she graduated from Yōkai Academy, she had no place to go. Luckily, Marin Kawamoto brought her under her wing. She cares a lot for Marin and will do anything to please her. However due to her Siren nature, she feared that she'd be shunned by her if she told her. However after revealing her true form, Marin still loves San and happily accepts her monster nature.
By the end of the Newspaper Club's Summer Trip, San has grown a slight attraction to Tsukune, much to Gin's annoyance when she solely talks to him.
San has blue eyes and collar-length dark-blue hair which she ties back with a polka-dot ribbon. Befitting a Siren, San is noted to be pretty. She wears a long-sleeved, knee-length polka-dot dress with a dark ribbon on her chest. As a Siren, San possesses a circular marking on her tongue. A notepad is always with her, since she hates using her voice, out of fear.
Despite looking as young as Yukari Sendo, San is actually older than her and the rest of Tsukune's friends as she has already graduated Yōkai Academy. The rest of the girls in the current News Club describe her as cute, which is due to her natural good looks as a Siren.
BackgroundEditSan was abandoned by her parents, left at the Yōkai orphanage, due to her powers being too strong. She decided to stop speaking and started to use a notepad to write out what she was thinking. In time, she came to be known a the "gang leader" of Yōkai Academy although she had no idea she was who they were talking about. She eventually met "Mad Dog" Ginei Morioka and decided to fight him until he got tired of fighting as his poor behavior was reflecting poorly on the Newspaper Club. She taught him how to use a camera, although this lead to his peeping habit by accident. She also became friends with Haji Miyamoto.
After graduating from Yōkai Academy, and lacking a home to go to, San wandered the human world aimlessly. She was eventually found by Marin Kawamoto, who took her in. Never having had someone be so maternal to her, San quickly became attached to Marin, coming to see her as a surrogate mother.
Year Two SummerEdit
San first appears after purposely running into Tsukune when trying to escape from the Mobsters. Following that, she and Moka get kidnapped due to the head mobster thinking that San had run into close friends. Luckily, thanks to Tsukune, who was the only one allowed to help as he was once fully human, came and defeat the attackers. After being rescued, San met up with the rest of the current Newspaper Club.
They arrive at the seaside inn where San worked and lived at before a co-worker tries to fire her. Marin keeps that from happening. The following day, the co-worker stole money form the bank due to a threat from a member of Fairy Tale. This was however rectified by the Newspaper Club, who helped them get additional funds by bringing in new customers.
Later, Kanade Kamiya arrives at the inn making another attempt to recruit San as she had repeatedly turned down Fairy Tale. Marin, not realizing that San is monster, tells Kanade to leave them alone. Kanade laughs and attempts to attack them. The Newspaper Club fight valiantly to protect them before Kanade uses his Siren voice to blind them. Before things get too far out of hand, San shields Marin and the club. San, after writing a short farewell to Marin in her sketchbook as she thought Marin would no longer want a monster to live with her, releases her wings and nature and sings beautifully, canceling out Kanade's song, which allows Tsukune to hurt Kanade.
Unfortunately, one of Kanade's Mermen shoots a blast of pressured water at Marin, forcing San to block to protect her. This knocks San out, but Marin accepts San for who she is, not caring if she's a siren. San wakes up in time to save Tsukune from a fully transformed Kanade with her own voice, but reveals she had used ultrasound to slowly break him up on the inside. San offers Marin the change to avenge her deceased husband that Kanade killed four years previous. She held out a piece of wood and made it clear that if Kanade's death wouldn't be enough, then she would allow Marin to kill her as well. Despite her resolve to die, San trembled, revealing her reluctance to die.
Marin only pats San on the head like she normally would, telling San that she accepts who she is. Overjoyed, San happily cries into Marin's arms. That night, everyone went to the beach to light fireworks. San meets her old friends Haiji and Gin, who both like her.
When the Newspaper Club departs back to Yōkai Academy, San is handed Marin's bankbook by Gin, who recovered it from the now dead employee. Using a large poster of herself and Marin, San invites the Newspaper Club to come back soon.
Year Two, Alucard's ReturnEdit
During Alucard's return, San arrives as one of the allies on Yōkai Academy's side to help fight him. Miyabi was left amazed at her offensive song being able to destroy a piece of Alucard. She then held up her notepad which said "I will be your opponent".
While this was going on, the wounded human soldiers mistook San for an angel due to her wings and wondered just what was going on. San amended her statement by revealing another page that said "'We will be your opponent" before The Excorcist arrived. She then joined him and Touhou Fuhai in engaging Alucard in battle.
After using her "Siren in the Dark" attack, she told Alucard that the few seconds he needed to mend the damaged tendons in his shoulders could be the gap separating life and death. Fuhai and Mikogami then hit Alucard hard enough to knock off the top of his head. Afterward, Fuhai came up and complimented San on her attack and that it aided his efforts, San became a bit bashful as a result. Mikogami then showed up and said that Fuhai hadn't done the job, that he had. Afterward Mikogami and Fuhai began having a tough guy showdown up close and personal with San trying to stop them. Fuhai griped about Mikogami's brains turning to muscle when he transformed, and Mikogami called Fuhai on that fact he hadn't really changed in 200 years as he flirted with Akasha back then as well and told him not to hit on San.
The argument was then dispelled when they sensed a powerful release of Yōkai which Mikogami realized was Tsukune's power. After Alucard realized what was up, Mikogami told San to warn the others while they kept Alucard busy. San showed up when Fang-Fang, Ruby and Yukari did, sounding the alarm. Finding out that Tsukune needed help to master his power, San joined Fang-Fang, Yukari, Mizore, Kurumu, Kokoa, Akua, and Ruby in Akua's spell circle as a circle of friends to help Tsukune and Moka. After Alucard showed up, he tried to kill Tskune and Moka, only to lose his hand in his attempt. When the smoke cleared showing Tsukune and Moka alive as fully realized Shinso Vampires, San was part of the tearful outpouring of joy that they were both alive.
After Tsukune and Moka tore Alucard to shreds but the Shinso refused to die as he rose up, San claimed Alucard to be invincible and an opponent they can't beat. She joins with Tsukune and the rest in the final battle when Alucard reveals his true plan of taking over the country with his clones that hatched in the eggs he planted all over the cities.
When a new day rises after Alucard's demise, San is seen on the school bus along with her fellow friends happily greeting Tsukune as he aboards and they all head back to Yōkai Academy.
In the Epilogue, she is seen still working and living at Marin's seaside Inn, despite now all humans know about her actual Yōkai nature.
- Notepad: San carries a notepad to communicate with others due to her voice being too powerful for a siren. The notepad is her limiter and both Gin and Haji note that when she closes it and begins to speak it means that she is getting serious in a fight.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Siren Physiology: As a siren, San possesses the ability to sprout feathered wings for flight and turn her own voice into a deadly sonic weapon. When San was just a little girl, her powers were already so strong that her parents couldn't even keep her in check, hence why she was left in the care of Yōkai Academy's Elementary and Jr. High School program.
- Transformation: San can transform at will where she can decide to have her wings out or not.
- Flight: San possesses the ability to fly using her wings for aerial combat and maneuvers.
- Sonic Attacks: San is a Siren who has a "perfect song of protection". Her true power, however, lies in her ultrasonic offensive song which slowly breaks apart her opponent from the inside-out. San likens this ability to a dolphin emitting an ultrasonic sound (or a song) which cause tiny injuries to occur within her opponent's body. The injuries may be small, but the damage will slowly increase over time; slowly but surely killing her opponent. Later on her sound attacks were powerful enough to visibly damage and slow down Alucard himself just after he had emerged unfazed from an all out attack by the humans' military.
- Enhanced Durability: The tissues and bones of San are considerably more durable and resistant to physical damage than that of humans or lower yokai. San was able to endure of some of Kanade Kamiya's attacks with little damage while most of the Newspaper Club were greatly damaged and had even came from the battle fairly unscathed.
- Enhanced Speed: San is fast enough to avoid some of Kanade's sonic attacks during their fight and had only suffered through some of them to protect Marin from the opposing siren.
Master Combatant: Despite San's pacific and gentle nature, she's powerful enough to be feared even by potent enemies such as Kuyō and Kiria Yoshii and she can turn in a very fearful opponent if needed. According to Ginei, San is known as "The strongest student of all times" at Yōkai Academy and it's revealed she easily defeated him and Haiji only using her sonic attacks, as she doesn't need to touch her opponents to damage them. In actuality, most of the student body during her time in Yokai Academy believed her to be the strongest student fighter.
Expert Markswoman: San is very precise with her long range sonic attacks where she can send out powerful sonic waves that targets an opponent's vital spots in order to take them down efficiently. San was capable of hitting Alucard's shoulder ligaments that prevented him from moving his arms against Mikogami and Fuhai's double attack on him while in mid-air and moving nonetheless.
Expert Strategist and Tactician: San has proven herself to very tactical in battle where she immediately used her Siren in the Dark technique that slowly damaged Kanade's body from the inside out while distracting him from noticing it by directly confronting him with rest of the Newspaper Club. Later on during her fight against Alucard with Mikogami and Fuhai, San served to distract Alucard by continuously using sound-based attacks to target his vitals preventing him from moving for a few seconds to allow the Dark Lords to land critical hits on the Shinso.
- Siren in the Dark: San's signature technique that makes her one of the strongest student of Yokai Academy where she sends small sound waves that internally damages the opponent's body in small amounts before accumulating that would kill them. This was used to defeat Kanade Kamiya in one move when the latter had entered his Symphony of the Devil form.
- Silence in the Dark: San takes a deep breath to gather sound waves and releases a giant sonic attack that targets an opponent's vital spot such as their arm ligaments to prevent them from moving him. This was used to temporarily stop Alucard to leave him wide open for Mikogami and Fuhai to attack simultaneously.
- (To Kanade Kamiya before annihilate him) "A song you cannot hear... destruction you cannot see... that is my ability."
- (To Marin Kawamoto) "You were the only one... who I did not want to see in this form. Marin-san, I wonder what you think... Am I scary...? ...If you wish... to take revenge for your husband... that person has been badly beaten up, but I haven't taken his life. If you wish to... you can finish him off. And I, who am a Siren the same as him... if you cannot forgive me, then you can also..."
- (To Alucard) "To repay Tsukune-san and everyone else's kindness, to protect the entire human world that I love, I cannot let you pass."
- In the Manga Epilogue, San seems to have won her fear of harming people with her voice and stopped using the notepad as a limiter. Or at least she just learned to properly control her power so she can freely talk to others.
- In the Epilogue, San also seems to return Ginei's romantic feelings, as she promptly blushes when their fingers hit accidentally onto each other. Though it is unclear if the two of them have officially started dating or are still waiting for the right time to confess each other.
- San's last name Otonashi (音無) means "no sound" in japanese, with San (燦) means "lustrous and bright"