|Manga||Rosario + Vampire II Chapter 003|
|Anime||Rosario + Vampire Capu2 Episode 01|
|Hair Color||Flaming Orange|
|Relatives||Issa Shuzen (Father)|
Gyokuro Shuzen (Mother)†
Akua Shuzen (Half-Oldest Sister)
Kahlua Shuzen (Older Sister)
Moka Akashiya (Half-Older Sister)
Akasha Bloodriver (Step-Mother)†
Haiji Miyamoto (Boyfriend)
Tsukune Aono (Future Brother-In-Law)
|Class||2nd year Yōkai Academy|
|Voice Actor||Chiwa Saitō (Japanese)|
Kira Vincent-Davis (English, anime)
Introduced in the second manga serialization and anime adaptation, Kokoa Shuzen (朱染 心愛 Shuzen Kokoa?) (Koko Shuzen and Koko in the English translated manga by the Shonen Jump Manga company) is the youngest sister out of the four sisters. She arrives as a first-year student to Yōkai Academy. Like her sister, Kokoa is also a vampiress, but her powers are not sealed. Being younger, Kokoa is not as strong as the 'sealed' Inner Moka, but in spite of this she is able to carry the Transformer Bat, named Kou (also named Koumori Nazo and Kou-Buddy (Kou-buddy being the English dub version of "Kō-chan"), which she was going to give to Moka for her tenth birthday. It was too heavy for Moka and passed it up. Kokoa kept it, and is able to wield it herself with enough strength to make herself formidable.
With a few similarities to her older sister, Moka Akashiya, Kokoa has green eyes, orange hair, and fair skin. She keeps her hair tied in two bushy ponytails with big red bows. Kokoa's outfit is a typical Japanese "sailor suit" or "sailor girl", and/or "sailor fuku" based outfit in appearance to what some girls may wear in Japan in other schools, properly most notably human girls in human schools.
She wears a white shirt and a red sailor girl top, with buttons and a tie split in two. She wears a short yellow-green skirt like all the female students, and long red-brown stockings with a white stripe at the top. This entire outfit acts as a sailor-fuku in appearance, due to its necktie, which gives the appearance as being split in two, and the white collar "flaps" that do not actually go to the neck like a " 'real' collar". Either that, or it is just open-collared. She wears brown prom heels with bows and has a little bracelet on the left wrist in appearance, which in appearance, seems to be a "uniform bracelet" as its sailor-fuku plaid schoolgirl color deeply resembles that of her shirt or schoolgirl top.
Under the effect of Yukari's Gro-Gro drops, Kokoa is changed to an older age - her physique is very similar to Moka's in this state, with a notable increase in her strength. She broke tombstones the Karate Club made of a durable stone as part of a scheme for profit. When the "older" effect ends, she reverts to an age younger than Yukari herself.
Prior to actually encountering her in the school, Moka asked Tsukune to describe her appearance and revealed that Kokoa's hair is actually dyed red; her natural hair color is light blond like Kahlua. Also, her schoolgirl outfit or sailor suit, also known as a sailor fuku can be called a "seifuku", which properly in Romanization romaji or Hepburn translation, the "ei" makes the sound "eh" like the long letter "A" in English, which can also be spelled as "ey". "Fuku" is also pronounced as "foo-koo".
Kokoa can be energetic and kind if she gets to know someone. She worships inner Moka, but loathes the sweet outer personality. Despite how many times she's been told something, Kokoa never listens to her elders. However, there is a mutual respect between herself and Yukari. Though a bit angry and jealous of Tsukune (for being given all Moka's attention), Kokoa grows to like him in the back of her mind. Also noted, she is smug and snobby, thinking vampires are superior to all other monsters and humans, but actually fears dragons, despite not letting this fear be shown. Examples of this include her reasonable annoyance of Akua and Kahlua and not to mention her comical annoyance of Ms. Nekonome. But she can also be brave and determined (or as Moka put it: "relentless") as such when she was little and refused to give up on besting Moka in martial arts. She displays a strong inferiority complex towards her sisters due to their status as geniuses and strives to be recognized by them due to this. After training and fighting with Haiji, she managed to overcome her fear of Kahlua and effectively shocked her mother by overpowering her, showing that her inferiority complex had some strong effect on her overall performance in battle.
Kokoa has been portrayed with nosebleeds towards the perverted antics of her club mates, such as when Kurumu flaunts her chest in front of Tsukune or places his head between them. It is implied from these nosebleeds that she is more dirty minded than she would have others believe (as she hates being touched in any way by Tsukune and constantly accuses him of groping her, for which she consequently kicks him far away.) Stemming from her pride, she appears to rate others on their strength and grace, as she only warmed up to the newspaper club after seeing them fight. Keeping with this she later stated that Kahlua's graceful appearance was such that she could completely fall for her, however one has to consider that this was merely a verbal expression of her respect towards her.
Unlike the other women around Tsukune, she has not displayed much in the way of romantic affection towards him, she has however been shown to be clearly attracted to the smell and taste of his blood. Her affection for Moka often sees her attempting to drive a wedge between Tsukune and her sister, implying that even if she does hold some attraction towards him it is most likely dwarfed by her obsession towards Moka.
Phantom Thieves ArcEdit
Kokoa first appears when Tsukune is having his head "nibbled" on by the headmaster's pet Spiky. Telling Tsukune to hold still, she uses her schoolbag and knocks Spiky off. After some banter she then notes that Tsukune's blood smells delicious and licks it causing him to freak out. She then leaves for the Welcome Ceremony waving goodbye to Tsukune.
Kokoa appears next in Moka's classroom, having already met Kurumu, Yukari, and Mizore. She recognized Moka and also recognized the person next to her as "That delicious person from this morning" then tried to walk towards him while saying "How unexpected to see you here" and "What kind of destiny is this--" but was interrupted by Moka. She then proceeds to attack Moka. During the barrage of attacks she hurts Tsukune (trying to make outer Moka transform into inner Moka) causing him to bleed. She tries lick his blood again, causing Kurumu to hit her with a desk. Kokoa and Kurumu were about engage in a fight but Outer Moka stops them saying Kokoa is her little sister. Kokoa leaves saying next time she'll force Outer Moka to transform.
Later, Kokoa is expressing happiness that Outer Moka agreed to fight her. After winning the fight Kokoa cries asking why Outer Moka won't fight for real. She expresses her grief of not being able to fight her for years. Tsukune appears and tells her that she's only been following Outer Moka for attention, but tells them that's not it and smashes her iron mace on Outer Moka and Tsukune saying she hates Outer Moka. Inner Moka lifts the mace and kicks Kokoa. She get's up exerting her vampire aura seemingly about to attack, but instead hugs her saying she missed her real sister. The next day, Kokoa is shown chasing and attacking Outer Moka so she can transform again.
Some time later, Kokoa is watching Outer Moka, Kurumu, and Mizore fighting over Tsukune. She shows disgust and wonders how her sister became like that. Kokoa comes to the conclusion that Moka's friends are what has changed her, so she tries to get Outer Moka away from them. She then helps the Newspaper Club find the probable hiding place of the thieves and suggest that she and Outer Moka can take care of the Street Slasher.
Kokoa expresses relief to separate Outer Moka from her friends. Kokoa and Outer Moka enter the school dungeon and Kokoa gives her Sister her bat Kou buddy, in the shape of a spiked club, to attack the person behind them, thinking it's the phantom. When they find out it's Tsukune following them, she's angry at him for messing up her plan. Tsukune then protects her from the Minotaur, but then gets hurt himself. Then Tsuchigumo appears and kidnaps Moka and Tsukune. Suddenly, Kurumu and Mizore appears and defeat the Minotaur, earning Kokoa's respect (but the respect was lost when she viewed them fight over who's fault it was for letting Moka and Tsukune get kidnapped).
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Vampirism: As a vampiress, Kokoa is one of the best yōkai there is possessing more powers and finesse in her monster abilities with Inner Moka remarking that Kokoa will be tougher to fight in comparison to most monsters that the Newspaper Club fought before. Despite this though it has been stated many times that due to her being the second oldest in the Shuzen Family, Kokoa's powers aren't as developed or great as the others.
- Yōki Detection: Like every other vampiresses she can sense other people's Yōki.
- Charm: Though not in the same league as a Succubus, Kokoa can use the Charm ability. The ability itself is used to distract others so she can seduce them rather than controlling them completely.
- Enhanced Durability: Kokoa can take hits and kicks from Kahlua and Moka and wave them off. She is known as a vampiresses who exerts strength through Yōkai and she is extremely strong for one who does. Kokoa also displayed the ability to tolerate the painful effects of water in her final clash with Kahlua to the point she struck the final blow with enough force to mortally wound Kahlua.
- Enhanced Stamina: As a vampiress, Kokoa possesses more stamina and produces less fatigue toxins than humans or ordinary monsters being able to fight for extended periods of time with little strain in her performance. Originally she didn't display any noteworthy feats of endurance at the beginning but after training with Haiji for a month Kokoa was able to last much longer against her youngest sister, Kahula, than when the Newspaper Club first fought her at the Yuki-Onna village even well into the morning with Kokoa defeating Kahula's first released state.
Expert Weapons Specialist: Despite having monstrous strength as a vampiress, Kokoa usually wields her shapeshifting bat in his various weapon forms in combat to make up the gap in strength between her and her sisters. She mainly has him transform into enormous blunt weapons to pulverize most of her opponents thus showing that she relies on her strength more than the finesse of weaponry she has at her disposal. Though after training with Haiji Miyamoto for a month, Kokoa shows better expertise in weaponry where she was able to fight on equal grounds against Kahula's first release state and eventually defeated her younger sister that forced her to release her second limiter to defeat Kokoa . During this fight, Kahlua actually stated that her previous roughness had faded away and her form had lost all of its openings thus making it hard to retaliate. Combining her strength and skill together, Kahlua noted that Kokoa had truly become one who "exerts their strength from performance".
Weapon Techniques: Due to Kokoa relying mostly on weaponry than hand-to-hand combat, Kokoa's techniques are centered around the use of Koumori Nazo's weapon forms.
- Morning Star: After transforming her bat into its Iron Mace form, she swings it at a target. The true power of this technique hasn't been shown, but Kokoa claimed that, if Moka didn't take her seriously, she would die.
- "Onee-sama" (When seeing Inner Moka)
- "I want to recieve training from my beloved sister. It's always been my dream to."
- (To Gyokuro and Kahlua) "I've always... always wanted to triumph... I've always wanted to triumph over all of you.. Mother, Kahlua. Hidden inside my admiration of you, an inferiority complex raged inside me. Even though we're all vampiresses, I was miserable and had hated myself for not being able to be like you."
- "I just admired them. I just wanted to be like my strong and beautiful sisters. So that one day they'd tell me how "amazing" I am, they'd say: "as expected of our sister." All I wanted... was to be acknowledged."
- "... W-Why...? That's so selfish... then what should have I done...? What could I have done so we could all get along...? Even I... really... loved you all! I loved every one of you!!"
- In the episode "Skiing and a Vampire" Tsukune hugged a freezing Kokoa while shirtless to give her body heat while they were in a cave; due to the cold she was having minor hypothermia issues.
- Kokoa is always shown with her panties exposed every time she appears on the show.
- Inner Moka and Kokoa both share some sisterly similarities: they both like the smell of Tsukune's blood, (following is anime only), they both find a skeleton keychain to be cute, and they both show disrespect on one episode when they both slapped down a curry from their teacher.
- Kokoa is later seen again wearing panties with a bat design even though her bat companion is on her shoulder.
- Some students on the hot spring's inn saw her without her underwear while she was running away from Miss Nekonome. (prompting said students to have a fountain of blood from each nostril)
- Kokoa refused to play with Kahlua when they were young, being terrified of her.
- In the final "Rosario+Vampire: Capu2" episode, Kokoa was not only surprised that Tsukune was prepared to fight with her father at the cost of his life, but she later seemed troubled at the thought of Tsukune dying in a clash with her father. She was planning to intervene when Moka stopped her. Due to her part in the monster energy overflow, she also received a beating in a comical scene.
- Kokoa can lift the Transformer Bat or Mysterious Bat weapon, despite it being too heavy for her older sister Moka, and Moka technically being the stronger of the two.
- In the 62nd chapter of the manga, as Inner Moka spots her, Kokoa urges her to run as Kahlua is nearby. Moka then spots that Kahlua has removed both of her limiters.
- In manga Chapter 63, after Kurumu and Mizore reveal that White and Black Duet Number 13 was specifically made for Vampiresses, Kokoa closed in on Kahlua (who the water had weakened badly) and stabbed Kahlua through the chest with Batty. Before she did, Kahlua said she loves Kokoa, who was crying. That says even though Kahlua terrified Kokoa, Kokoa still loved her little sister.
- As Kahlua was dying she told Kokoa that their mother had been very harsh with her as Gyokuro had hoped that Kokoa being around would make Issa come back to her, which failed. Disappointed and frustrated that she didn't win back Issa, Gyokuro took all her hurt out on Kokoa by saying that she was inferior to her sisters. Kokoa seemed shocked that the source of her emotional pain and inferiority complex was her mother's sorrow at not winning back Issa with her birth.
- Ten months after Alucard's demise, Kokoa seems to have emotionally leveled from Kahlua's final words. She seems calmer (not so eager for a fight), and has an easier time interacting with her clubmates.
- The Manga's Epilogue tales state that Kokoa and Haiji became a couple and started dating, of course as they are seen sparring, the statement that neither one knows what's done on a date is accurate.