|Manga||Rosario + Vampire Season II chapter 12|
|Death||Heart Impalement (first death)|
Shinso Vampire (current)
|Hair Color||Light blond|
|Equipment||Two rosary earrings|
|Relatives||Issa Shuzen (Father)|
Gyokuro Shuzen (Mother)†
Akua Shuzen (Eldest Step-Sister)
Moka Akashiya (Younger Half-Sister)
Kokoa Shuzen (Youngest Sister)
Akasha Bloodriver (Step-Mother)†
Tsukune Aono (Future Brother-In-Law)
Alucard (Relative Through Being Akua's Biological Grandfather, Possible Step-Grandfather)
Kahlua Shuzen (朱染 刈愛 Shuzen Karua, Kalua Shuzen) is the klutzy, naïve and mentally innocent older sister vampire sister of Kokoa Shuzen. Though she is the 2nd oldest among the four sisters, she has a demeanor that depicts her as the youngest. Kokoa harbors a deep fear of her since she is the top assassin of the Shuzen Family. As of Chapter 58 of the manga, she has been revealed as the heir of the Shuzen Family by Gyokuro.
Like Moka, her earrings serve as her limiter; when removing them, she gains access to further transformations that allow her to turn her arm into develop razor-sharp bat wings. According to Yukari Sendo, all vampires were able to take forms of other animals, but due to the vampire's vanity this technique is now considered lost. Like the rest of the Shuzen family, she is a vampire. But was restored into a Shinso Vampire, like her half-sister, Moka Akashiya. Through Akua, or Akua Shuzen, she is somewhat related to Alucard, the ancestor, as in, the First Ancestor vampire whose blood is the First Ancestor blood. She is also the younger, and second-in-oldest sister, as in a half-sister, to Akua, and also biological-blood daughter of Gyokuro Shuzen, the first wife of Issa Shuzen, her father as Gyokuro was the matriarch of the family. Being the daughter of Issa, and Akasha Bloodriver being the second wife, Akasha Bloodriver, also known as Akāsha Buraddoribā (through Japanese name) or Akasha Buraddoriba, without diacritic marks, is also her stepmother, as she is step-mother to her through Moka. Her name comes purely from a drink, Kahlúa, a Mexican coffee-flavored liqueur or liqueur straight from Mexico; the drink of Kahlua's namesake contains rum, corn syrup and vanilla bean, but not any actual coffee.
Contrary to her sisters, Kahlua displays a clear aversion to fighting and hurting others in any way. However, when her charm is in use, she will blindly attack her opposition and kill them without remorse, in the course of such an act, she cries tears of atonement. This deathly side of her has left a striking fear in her sisters, including Akua, who all state she is scary when she cries. Most affected by this trauma was her younger sister Kokoa, who was left with a fear of her which would later develop to the point where it affected her ability to fight and rendered her with a feeling of inferiority towards her siblings. Because of the fact that they're fighting a beautiful, somewhat naive and klutzy girl, who is crying throughout the entirety of her fights, most of her opponents are either terrified of her, due to confusion, or filled with pity towards her. Either way, her personality and style of fighting prove effective in unbalancing her enemy psychologically.
Kahlua truly loves her sisters and was unwilling to harm Moka during their reunion, she also displayed enough care for Kokoa to beg her mother not to harm her. She appears to have been brainwashed in some way by her mother, attested to by the way her eyes seem to react when given a particularly difficult command, and is unwilling to defy her commands despite the personal dislike towards the order given. Kahlua was actually quite impressed by Kokoa's strength when the latter fought her off, and displayed some integument towards it, possibly pride, a thing Kokoa always desired from her kin.
Revealed in Chapter 63 of the manga, Kahlua isn't able to remember the number of people she has killed. Furthermore, she wishes to die as she sullied her life by killing so many people. Even as Kokoa was moving in for the final blow, Kahlua still proclaimed that she loves her little sister. Kahlua does care about her mother, or simply felt pity for her; she revealed the reason behind all of Gyokuro's actions as she died.
However, Alucard gave Kahlua some of his blood to revive her. Now no longer bound by trying to stay at her mother's side, Kahlua vowed to no longer take lives, though she and Aqua would continue to make the Shuzen name legendary by fighting off opponents.
AppearanceEditInheriting her mother's appearance, Kahlua has light blond hair, tan skin and dark red eyes. Though unlike her mother's hair, Kahlua's is longer, held back by a tiara and is wavy with bangs framing her forehead. She dresses in a flowing white dress with snow white gloves and white boots.
Recently Volume 12 Cover for Rosario + vampire Manga was released with Kahlua being on it. It shows her skin color is not as tan as her mother's.
In the Anime, Kahlua does not appear but her appearance is briefly shown to be unknown as a silhouette. Her hair is much shorter with waving looks.
Kahlua Shuzen grew up as second oldest and younger to Akua Shuzen, but Akua does not get as much of a scary reputation as Kahlua. Kahlua harvested great power whenever she removes one of or more of her rosary earrings that act as Rosario earrings and hold great power. Kahlua had great love for Kokoa, but little Kokoa Shuzen is too afraid of her older sis to play with her or pay her any mind. She tried not to mind Kokoa's fear of her, but she also tries to help Moka Akashiya, her second-youngest sister (Moka is also mid-youngest and second middle child). As the middle child and second eldest sister, Kahlua found herself wanting to help the people she loves greatly. As greatly as she wants to help, no one wants Kahlua's help and there Kahlua is defeated. She found strength in helping Gyokuro, her mother, bypass and scheme in Fairy Tale. Gyokuro Shuzen, Kahlua's biological mother, helped her feel pride and strength in herself. Kahlua was strong and her father Issa loved her very much. When Kahlua was hired by Fairy Tale to kill and worked with Miyabi Fujisaki to assistant people, she hesitated for a while, because she hated killing and murdering and cried when she did kill. Eventually, Kahlua was hired to murder everyone in the Snow Village to assist Miyabi, and she cried when she beat up Moka and Tsukune and their friends. Kahlua was unable to figure out that Inner Moka actually came out because Tsukune took off her Rosario Cross, not because Outer Moka did so herself. Inner Moka beat Kahlua, and Kahlua congratulated her for getting her Inner Personality to come out to the inner self. Inner Moka thought not so much of it, and kind of shrugged it off, and Kahlua continued to fight and beat people while crying. Eventually, Miyabi came after Mizore wanted to commit suicide and Kurumu stopped her with a kiss to wipe the idea of Miyabi's kiss from Mizore's mind, and Miyabi grabbed Kahlua and took her in a jet plane to see way out and escape to make effort and retreat.
Kahlua was hired by the Fairy Tale organization to assist Miyabi and kill everyone in the snow village. Because of the way she was raised, she actually hates murdering others and cries when she does so. She fought the Newspaper Club and decimated them until Inner Moka showed up. Though Kahlua could have easily killed Moka in their battle, she held back because of her love for her sister. Miyabi stops the fight between Kahlua and Moka, canceling her orders to kill everyone present, because if Kahlua continued and won, it wouldn't matter because she would die from the injuries she has sustained. In Chapter 29 she returns to the Snow Village, bumping into Kokoa and Ruby and cryptically informs them not to let Moka and Akua meet.
In the subsequent chapters, she has released one of her rosaries, revealing her Wealth of Power. She also watches Akua's battle with Moka and Tsukune. While her mother brutally chides Akua, Kahlua has compassion for her older sister, stating the Akua is feeling immense emotional pain from fighting her "most precious person". After Gyokuro knocks away Tsukune, Kahlua restrains Moka with her bat wings. She is saddened after her mother rips Moka's rosario from her neck, causing Moka immense pain. She then hands Gyokuro the device to control Alucard. Before the Huang Family ship crashes onto the Fairy Tale, Kahlua stands by her mother as her mother makes Alucard her faithful servant.
Once Touhou Fuhai and the rest of the Fairy Tale Invasion Squad land on the base, Gyokuro orders Kahlua to deal with all of them alone. After being taunted by her sister, Kokoa Shuzen, she bats her with a slap after warning Kokoa to flee, sending the vampire crashing and tumbling into the rubble. She then tearfully pleads to her mother to ignore Kokoa and let her live. Once Gyokuro orders Kahlua to kill everyone, including the youngest daughter of the Shuzen family, Kahlua bursts in a massive tantrum and jumps to kill Kokoa with her bat-winged arm. Kokoa is narrowly saved by Haji Miyamoto. Slightly distracted by her sister's escape, Kahlua is surprised to notice Gin about to attack. She unleashes a beam-like attack, but Gin is in turn saved by Touhou Fuhai.
Kahlua then engages Kokoa one-on-one and easily dominates her though her sister is able to keep up and defend without taking too much damage, but struggles to do so. Once Kokoa acknowledges the difference in their power and skill and begins to break down both physically and emotionally, Kahlua goes to decapitate her sister who is once again saved by Haiji. Kahlua goes to attack again, but Kokoa defends and breaks though one of Kahlua's wings, destroying it in the process. Kahlua and her mother, Gyokuro, are astonished by Kokoa's new power as Kokoa re-engages her sister one-on-one.
However, after Kahlua takes of the second limiter, Kokoa is easily defeated.
Kurumu and Mizore then fight her. They manage to greatly weaken her with Duet 13 Last Waltz, by using Holy Water, which acts as a limiter on Kahlua's powers. Kokoa then appears to impale her to death with her blade.
After Kahlua is mortally wounded, she tells a stunned Kokoa that their mother was cruelly ignoring her because her desperate hope that Kokoa's birth would win back Issa's interest failed. She dies before Kokoa voices her sorrow at not succeeding as her mother wanted her to win Issa's interest back.
Later on in the Rosario Vampire II chapter 67 Extra II, it's revealed that right after Kokoa, Kurumu, and Mizore left Kahlua's corpse and a little bit before Miyabi went to battle against his enemies, he had injected his Shinso blood into Kahlua's corpse thus reviving and asked Kuyo to look after her as she's too pure to die.
It is shown later that Kahlua is playing chess with Akua and both are to become future leaders of the Shuzen Family.
In the Anime, Kahlua's silhouetted appearance was briefly shown, and Kahlua was said to be one of the reasons for Kokoa's cruel and discontent nature towards Outer Moka. Her appearance is unknown, but known as a silhouette, but her silhouette had shorter hair with waving looks to appear a little wavy, different than her Manga appearance.
As the half-sister and mid-youngest sister of Kahlua and fellow rosary power-sealer, Moka as Outer Moka finds Kahlua powerful, and generally loves her as a sister. Though it is unknown about Kahlua's relationship with Inner Moka, Kahlua may or may not find her as a very strong Vampire. When they first meet again during visiting the snow village of Mizore Shirayuki in the Season II chapter 12 manga book, Moka becomes generally surprised to see Kahlua there, but still is happy to see her all-in-all. Once Inner Moka defects her in the Snow Village chapter, she is taken away by the one engaged to marry Mizore, and the man warns the gang of Tsukune and Moka and their friends of the Newspaper Club that they will be back.
Kahlua's half-sister through Issa being biologically related to her and being the granddaughter of Alucard, Kahlua was a good friend of Akua's, appreciating her as an elder and generally elder sibling, while loving her dearly. Kahlua regarded her well, and as second to eldest in age, respected her. When Kahlua was still alive the first time, some parts of her relationship with Akua were unknown.
The only fully blood-related sister of Kahlua and youngest sister, Kokoa feared Kahlua greatly, but deep down, truly loved her and really cared for Kahlua. Before Kahlua is killed by Kokoa, Kahlua tells her that she loves her little sister, meaning, no matter how much Kokoa feared her, deep down she loved her big sister Kahlua.
Though Kahlua's relationship with her father is not exactly known, but not exactly unknown either, Kahlua has a good relationship with her father, being very respectful toward him. Not much of her relationship towards him is known about Kahlua.
Kahlua's biological mother, that she shares as a blood-related mother with Kokoa. Like Kahlua, Gyokuro was a powerful S-Class monster, and Kahlua knew well of that. Kahlua generally respected Gyokuro.
Akasha Buraddoriba was the biological mother of Moka Akashiya. She was Kahlua's stepmother. Kahlua's relationship with her is unknown. Not much is said about the relationship between her and Akāsha Buraddoribā.
The clone of Alucard, and general leader of Fairy Tale, Miyabi was engaged to marry Mizore Shirayuki, much to Mizore's dismay and displeasure. He took Kahlua with him to leave before making his and Kahlua's escape.
- Limiters: Kahlua's rosary-shaped earrings function as individual limiters to seal away her power until it is needed in battle. Upon removing the first limiter on her right ear, Kalua's right arm tends to transform with the Wealth of Power and becomes her signature weapon. Her overall power is also noted to increase drastically. After removing the second limiter, Kahlua's power is noted to increase even more drastically as she stated that Kokoa, who had just defeated her with the first limiter removed, was ten years too young to win against her in that state.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Vampirism: As a Shuzen vampire, Kahula is a very powerful vampire and yokai being able to easily overpower even ordinary or weaker vampires as shown when her younger sister Kokoa had a hard time defeating her initial release state after training for a month and was easily defeated after Kahula removed her second limiter. Both Kurumu and Mizore remarked that she is one of the strongest vampires after seeing her power in her second release state.
- Immense Strength: Like any Vampire, her strength is monstrous. While sealed, Kahlua could severely hurt Kurumu and Tsukune with a single punch. Her kicks are just as powerful and were greatly increased when her limiter was removed. In her initial release state, Kahula has enough strength to counter most of Kokoa's attacks that had the added weight of Koumori Nazo in weapon form before Kokoa gained the strength and resolve to cut through Kahula's razor wings. During her fight with Akua 7 years ago, Kahula was able to smash apart the floor with one downward punch which also gave Akua a shoulder wound. In her second release state Kahula's strength became so high that Kurumu and Mizore had to douse her with water to weaken her before Kokoa dealt the finishing blow.
- Enhanced Speed: Kahlua is seen to be very fast. Even with her powers sealed, she was able to get in front of Moka when she attempted to run away; acting as a decoy. Kahlua even managed to strike and incapacitate most of the Newspaper Club in an instant before most of them had even registered for movements. Her speed vastly increased once she removed her limiter. She could easily hit anyone before they blinked, but her full potential has yet to be seen.
- Immense Durability: Kahlua is very resilient. After being kicked in the face by Inner Moka, she stood up with little damage while her limiters are on. Once removed, she can nearly recover instantly after any attack. Even after her internal organs were penetrated, she was able to remain standing to fight. This was caused by an ability to paralyze her pain. Combined with her healing ability and strong vampire body, Kahlua can for a short time become "Charmed". This particular ability makes Kahlua an extremely powerful but equally vulnerable opponent: her catastrophic injuries catch up to her when she returns to normal and if she doesn't notice them, it will lead to her death. 7 years ago Kahula was able to endure Akua's Youho Saishusui, which Akua noted is strong enough to render a normal person incapable of standing for three days, and immediately retaliated.
- Enhanced Stamina: Kahula's musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of ordinary humans or yokai, allowing her to be physically active for longer periods of time. This is shown when Kahula managed to fight against Kokoa's new found strength with the added power of Noumori Nazo until well in the morning before being defeated in her initial release state. After releasing her second limiter, Kahula could fight against Kokoa, Kurumu, and Mizore at the same time despite having little time to recover from her previous fight and was only defeated when her body was doused with holy water to weaken her before Kokoa ended the fight by impaling Kahula through the heart. Even after having her heart pierced, Kahula still had enough strength to continue talking with Kokoa and revealed the intentions of their mother and apologized to her before ultimately dying.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Kahlua has the ability to regeneration from deadly wounds almost immediately and is capable regrowing missing limbs. This depends on how much power she releases at a time as after releasing both of her limiters in Chapter 63, she used one of Mizore's icicles to nearly decapitate her own head, before it regenerated.
- Shinso Bloodline: After dying by her sister, Kokoa's, hand during the final battle against Fairy Tale, Miyabi Fujisaki revived her by transfusing his shinso vampire blood into her out of pity as in his eyes she was too innocent to die then. After this transfusion and revival, Kahlua inherited the shinso bloodline as well as Moka and Tsukune.
- Wealth of Power: Yukari states that all Vampires have an ability called "Wealth of Power" which allows one to shape-shift and weaponize their body. In the case of Kahlua, she has the ability to turn her arms into five razor-sharp bat wings that can easily demolish stone columns and cut bodies in half. Kahlua is also able to fire a beam from the wings.
- Liquefaction: After her limiter has been completely removed, her transformative power increases dramatically. Ghoul-like tattoos reach up from her hands, stopping at her shoulders, while the rest of her body becomes a mass of liquid flesh and blood, making her an intangible body mass to which all attacks harmlessly phase through. Also, her now transformed body's unique constitution can become her personal artillery, using and molding pieces of it into makeshift high velocity projectiles she can launch from her body at will. Though despite the intangible advantage of her second release state, Kahlua is stilled vulnerable to water and when doused she becomes tangible again in that small window of time which can be taken advantage of.
Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Kahlua is very good at fighting most likely being taught by Gyokuro. In her normal state she would be seen fighting using her fists and sometimes if she has to use her kicks, but when she fights her best would be seen using her "Wealth of Power" in battling Moka and Kokoa. Gyokuro expressed confidence in that Kahula would be able to defeat nearly all of the members of the second group rescuing Moka though this was proven wrong when Kokoa was able to fight on even ground against Kahula alone before she released her second limiter. This implies that Kahula has been taught by Gyokuro to have very high combat skills but she did not take into account the growth Kokoa would display from her training.
Miscellaneous Skills: Gyokuro stated that she taught her daughter a large variety of skills, assassination skills, bomb disposal skills, language skills to name just a few, in the hopes that she'd inherit the title of the Shuzen House's leader. Her mother is so confident in this education "fit for an emperor" that she finds it insulting for Kahlua to be having difficulty in battle, even against her own sister Kokoa.
- "Oh dear! Tripping over my own skirt on a first meeting like this… How embarrassing. I mean, I thought a funny entrance like this would put everyone at ease…"
- (To Kokoa) I think... I've been waiting. Waiting for the day where one of my sisters ends this soiled life for me...
- (To Kokoa) "Ah, I see... Now I can finally... Thank you Kokoa... I love you..."
- (To Kokoa) "Please forgive Mother... She just wanted it back... Father's heart... The peaceful family we once were... Kokoa, when you were born... Mother was hoping that, with you, she could take back Father's heart... Of course Father worked his hardest for her sake... But his love for Akasha was something that couldn't be broken... The reason why she was so hash on you was likely a reaction to that. But Mother... She really loved you... Definitely... From the bottom... Of her heart... Gah!... So please... Forgive... Her... Please... Forgive... Us..."
- "...I'm sorry Kokoa... For never being much of an older sister... I'm sorry... Sor...ry..."
- Kahlua's alternative name spellings are Kalua because of her drink-based name with the H being silent; and Karua as Japanese pronunciation with the 'L' becoming an "R".
- Like her sisters, her name is a reference to a drink. Kahlua's name is a reference to Kahlúa, a coffee flavored liqueur from Mexico.
- After removing her 2nd limiter, Kahlua's body became fluidic in that she nearly decapitated herself but she was seemingly unfazed.
- Despite being an assassin, in the Season 2 Volume 12 Omake, one of the assassination techniques that Kahlua is inexperience in is seducing men to coax them into bed. In Kahlua's case, she wasn't taught by her mother on how to seduce a guy nor what to do when she's in bed with a guy and finds this whole solution to be embarrassing. She even watched a porn video to understand this matter.
- Kahlua revealed near her own death that she had stood by Gyokuro's side and done whatever she asked (consequently making her life so sullied that she wanted any one of her sisters to vanquish her) because she knew if she didn't stay by her side, her mother would have been left alone.
- In the 14th and final volume of "Rosario+Vampire Season 2", Kahlua was shown to have been saved from death by Miyabi/Alucard transferring his Shinso Blood to her, making her a Shinso Vampire also.
- In the Epilogue tales for the series, Kahlua and Aqua are shown to become the future leaders of the Shuzen Family and the family name is more widespread and feared than ever before.
- Kahlua proved she's an excellent battle analyst when Kokoa began making headway while she still wore 1 limiter. She remarked that Kokoa had fewer openings and her moves weren't as rough as before. Consequently, she praised Kokoa for finding the style that suited her best.
- More properly, Kahlua's name is spelled as Kalua without the "h" in pronunciation wise to English language pronunciation skills, but since the name literally has Spanish-language origins, "Kahlua" or more commonly, "Kahlúa" has a silent H due to the J being akin to the H sound in the language. The "L" in her name is where it comes from in English, while her translated English-to-Japanese-transliteration name is Karua with the letter 'R'.