|Manga||Rosario + Vampire II Chapter 067|
|Anime||Rosario + Vampire Capu2 Episode 13|
|Hair Color||Silver (Anime)|
|Relatives||Akasha Bloodriver (Wife)†|
Gyokuro Shuzen (Wife)†
Akua Shuzen (Eldest Daughter)
Kahlua Shuzen (Older Daughter)†
Moka Akashiya (Younger Daughter)
Kokoa Shuzen (Youngest Daughter)
Tsukune Aono (Son-In-Law)
|Voice Actor||Katsuji Mori (Japanese)|
J. Michael Tatum (English)
Issa Shuzen is the father of Moka and her sisters, as well as a very influential figure among Vampires. He makes an appearance in Rosario + Vampire Capu2 as the third Dark Lord. In the manga, Issa is not a Dark Lord, although he is said to be a powerful individual nonetheless as his powers were mentioned to surpass those of a strong S-class vampire.
In the manga, Issa Shuzen is seen as the head of the Shuzen Family. In the flashback into Moka's memories, he is shown to own a fairly large European-styled castle, which is the meeting place for vampires in all of Japan, and is apparently well known in the yōkai underworld for being the one to go to when a problem needs to be 'solved'. He also fits the general expectation of what one expects a vampire of his status to look and behave. When Akua is first introduced, he seems to be caring enough to make sure that Moka, Kahlua, and Kokoa all introduce themselves formally to Akua. However, right after that, he tells Kahlua and Akua to 'kill each other' without holding back.
Touhou Fuhai explains that the Shuzen house is probably the most fearsome place in all of Japan due to the high number of vampires who live there. Based on Akua's attack and subsequent deduction of Kahlua's tears, Issa stopped the match with a loud clap.
The clap was with great strength, so strong that it choked Kahlua and Akua in fear. It appears he determined the strength of each of them within a minute of battle. When he is warned of the possible threat of intruders, he merely brushes it aside, believing it to be yet another attempt to try to kill him. He states that if they managed to get into the castle, that he will take their challenge personally.
Despite his brutal nature, he treats his family rather well, celebrating his daughters' birthdays with them. He even seems supportive of Akasha's plan to have Moka leave the mansion for fear of having something happen to her because of 'that thing in the basement'.
In the most recent chapters, Issa is revealed to be Fairy Tale's 2nd Subdivision Leader when Gyokuro says to Touhou Fuhai that his opponent was not her but rather behind him (referring to Issa). This is later disproven in Chapter 64 when Touhou Fuhai reveals 'Issa' to be a doppelganger and says that the real one is much stronger.
In Gyokuro's flashback, Issa is talking with Akasha who's holding her daughter Moka about humans and monsters coexisting. Issa finds Akasha's solution to be interesting and saying when that time comes he will be with both Akasha and Moka in the newly human world.
Issa appears later on in the Epilogue "After Story". It's revealed by Kokoa that Issa was imprisoned in Fairy Tale by Alucard because of Gyokuro's coup d'etat. After the great battle had ended with Alucard, Issa's been running around everywhere in Japan trying to rebuild the Shuzen Family once more by gathering new members.
Issa comes to Yōkai Academy after meeting with Nurari, the bus driver. Nurari shows Issa Tsukune's wanted poster from Fairy Tale which they've put a price on Tsukune's head. Issa is assigned to kill the young Shinso Vampire saying he'll take care of him.
Issa meets with Moka and Tsukune, commenting on how much she has grown. Tsukune nervously greets him, calling Issa father, leading to a furious aura out for blood with Tsukune comically shivering in fear as Issa is an overprotective father, commenting, "I was wrong! He's one of them! He's is through and through one of them!!". Later, the three are seated at a bar table. He finds out that Tsukune was human and now a vampire. Issa asked Tsukune how he felt after hearing that he wasn't just close to Moka, but also some of the other girls. Tsukune hesitates, thinking of Outer Moka which Issa figures out. However, before Issa could question him about it, Kurumu, Mizore, Yukari, Fang Fang, and Ruby interrupts them with their sexual appearances making Issa to believe that Tsukune has a harem, despite Tsukune's rejections to it as they were muffled by Kurumu's breasts and his nosebleed. Furious at his 'answer', Issa smashed the bar table. The group discovers the wanted poster of Tsukune and Issa claims that it's his and reveals himself to be an assassin to kill Tsukune. Moka tries to prevent Issa and Tsukune to clash, but Tsukune stands in front of everyone, willing to protect them with his life, glaring at Issa. Issa proceeds to attack Tsukune although kills a poisonous monster with a sharp needle that was sent by an assassin saving Tsukune's life.
Nurari comes to the scene revealing Issa to be on Tsukune's side and that him and the Shuzen Family will support and protect Tsukune taking out the assassins in Fairy Tale. Nurari also said that he hired Issa to become Tsukune's trainer since Tsukune had plenty to learn before becoming the next Headmaster, to which Issa gave a frightening smile that would make many folks' blood run cold. Nurari also tells Issa not to be too overprotective over Moka after Issa commented that Tsukune might be worth hazing still showing obvious signs of anger.
After Tsukune's 30 second training/obliteration, Issa pointed out that women are truly horrifying creatures. Issa revealed himself to be a polygamist and made a mess of things. Issa's tells Tsukune he's thankful to him and his friends for stopping Gyokuro and saving Moka. Issa also says that the woman who disappeared with Alucard was not Outer Moka, it was his wife, Akasha. Issa states that although Outer moka was a clone of his wife, the girl grew up as a part of Moka, living within her. He points out to Tsukune that Outer Moka's soul should still be inside of his daughter, that is if Tsukune still thinks of her since Issa figured out that Tsukune was in love with Moka's Outer personality.
In this adaptation, Issa created Moka's Rosario Cross and the one used for the school barrier. His contempt for humans knows no bounds and, according to Koumori, his powers exceed that of a standard S-class yōkai, able to throw anyone with just a wave of his hand.
Moka's father resided in a vast castle when Tsukune Aono went in search of him for another Rosario cross. Upon meeting him, he hated Tsukune because he chooses a "fake" Moka over his real daughter however he gains a begrudging respect for him once he takes the Rosario out of his hand without him knowing. As Inner Moka arrived and stopped the fight claiming that Tsukune would have lost if he kept fighting the way he was fighting (she claimed if he was truly fighting seriously, Tsukune would have lost instantly). With this, he lets Tsukune keep the Rosario and he leaves, causing the castle to collapse.
Before leaving the area, he realizes that Kokoa Shuzen was behind the events which caused so many people to "bug him" so he gave her a big spanking for causing him so much trouble.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Master Combatant: Issa is a great expert in combat battle with his speed and agility. Although it has not been shown, Issa is able to defeat Tsukune in 30 seconds during training as Issa appears completely unharmed while the latter appears in a bloody mess.
- Superhuman Strength: Issa is known as a powerful vampire due to his enormous strength. With a powerful clap he silent both Kahlua and Akua from their fight. He is able to destroy an entire bar table by simply slamming both of his fist on top and killed a poisonous monster that almost killed Tsukune with a single powerful punch. Issa's strength is as powerful as a Shinso vampire.
- Superhuman Speed: He was able to catch Tuskune off guard with his speed when a poisonous monster tried to kill Tsukune from behind while the latter couldn't react to his movement.
- Force Push: Issa is able to push back or throw his enemies with a wave of his hand standing where his is. This is shown when he disapproved of Tsukune choosing Outer Moka over Inner Moka in the anime.
- "This isn't what you'd call our occupation, but sometimes, there are some "worthy people" who will receive rewards after taking care of "certain tasks." Some would call us the "problem solvers" of the underground world."
- (To Akua and Kahlua) Well then my daughters, there's no need to hold back. Kill each other.
- (To Akasha) You've taught them well... they're getting along with each other much better than I expected.
- (To Moka) It's been so long, Moka. You've grown so much since I last saw you.
- (To Tsukune) Women are, Truly horrifying creatures, Tsukune-kun.
- "As I thought, humans are so weak."
- (To Moka) All of this, is proof for your new life.
- (To Tsukune) I'll leave that rosario to you then, Aono Tsukune. But, don't think that I gave my daughter to you for nothing. Please remember this point.
- (To Kokoa) You need punishment.
- In the anime, Issa appears with silver hair instead of black hair.
- Just like the rest of his family, he is named after a beverage, Issa meaning "one tea."
- In the anime, Issa has a habit of curling the hair that hangs over his left eye.
- In the manga especially, Issa resembles the traditional image of a Vampire.
- In the manga, despite being Japanese, Issa's clothes have a older European styling to them.
- Issa's being worked up at finding out Tsukune had multiple females fawning over him in the epilogue, seemed to be admiration of Tsukune being a polygamist like himself, hence why he'll help Tsukune.
- Issa is on a par with the Three Dark Lords since he's able to beat Tsukune in 30 seconds during training.
- Issa told Tsukune that Outer Moka didn't die with Akasha, but still was with Moka. He also essentially said 'if you think of her, she will still exist'.
- Taking Issa's pre-lunch and lunchtime interactions with Tsukune, it's safe to assume that Issa has a sarcastic sense of humor as he made Tsukune uncomfortable every chance he got.
- When Issa reappeared in the Manga Epilogue, his clothes were modern stylish wear, like what a wealthy man who had no need to worry over money might wear to be "casual stylish".